We are near a point of convergence on the house. Most of what we need for a reinspection of our framing and plumbing is complete or nearly complete.
I have been working on things that need to be done and that the inspector said we can do before we get the inspection and start drywalling. We decided for various reasons to use acrylic-fiberglass shower and tub surrounds. Those need to be braced so that they don’t give when you push against them. I did some of that Sunday afternoon. This is the shower enclosure. I have put in around 15 2×4 braces for the shower.
The tub will have even more bracing, but I couldn’t work on that on Sunday because I ran out of screws to attach the tub enclosure to the studs.
I have been planning to put some 2-by material behind the drywall around the toilets for installation of grab bars. I intended to do that on Sunday, but I discovered two studs with significant crooks right where I needed to put the grab-bar anchor material. One stud was about an inch proud of the rest of the studs on the master bathroom wall. I think drywall can hide some variation, but not that much. There was also another stud standing proud of the wall next to the toilet in the guest bathroom, so I couldn’t work on either toilet. Those go on the list of work for the framer.
I have also been working on insulation. It’s an itchy business.
I plan to put another type of insulation on at least one of the master bathroom walls. That wall separates the bathroom from the living room. The insulation will be sound insulation. Regular fiberglass insulation does virtually nothing to stop sound transmission. Right now it looks like the sound-deadening insulation for that one wall will cost more than the thermal insulation for the entire house. But I think you can understand why we might want sound-deadening insulation between the bathroom and the living room.
I have an additional task (I call it a “task” rather than a “problem.”) that needs to be done prior to drywall. We have equal-leg arches over the living room and bedroom windows on the front of the house. You can see most of one in the photo above. I have to cut plywood in an arch that matches the window so that the area around the arches can be insulated and drywalled. I have been thinking about this
problem task, but I haven’t reached a conclusion yet.
The electrician has completed all the wiring that will be hidden behind drywall. The only thing standing in the way of completing the insulation (aside from my own procrastination) is the plumbing inspection. At least I can insulate every stud cavity that doesn’t contain plumbing.
The rim boards that will be used to reinforce the floor joists are supposed to be at the lumberyard Monday. The framer has been waiting for that. With a good crew, all of the framing work on my list should be completed in a day.
The electrician and the well installer came out last week, and we now have temporary power to the well pump. The plumber has been waiting for that so he can check the supply lines. We already know of one leak. Whoever put the PEX line to the pressure tank forgot to cinch a clamp, so when the well guy and I powered up the pump, the connection leaked. The line from the pressure tank to the rest of the house was shut off, so I don’t know if there are other leaks. There are certainly plenty of places for them. I think the plumber can complete any work he needs to do in a day, assuming there are not too many leaks (an assumption I’m not willing to make at this point).
Once the framing and plumbing pass inspection, we will be free to proceed with drywall. Of course, I need to finish insulating the walls before that happens. I hope all of this, including the inspection, is done by the end of the week. Leah suggested that I may be expecting too much.